Another person has died on NSW roads despite police pleading for motorists to take care over the long weekend.
The 78-year-old man was airlifted to Orange Base Hospital after his car hit an embankment at Canowindra about 11.30am on Sunday, but he later died.
The man is the seventh to die on the state’s roads since the Anzac Day long weekend began.
In a crash earlier on Sunday morning a 47-year-old was killed when his car slammed into a concrete barrier in East Gosford, on the Central Coast.
A 17-year-old girl was also killed when her car hit a tree near Mittagong on Saturday, while a 44-year-old woman died in hospital after she was struck by a car while crossing the road in Newcastle.
Three young men died on Saturday morning when their four-wheel drive ploughed into a tree northwest of Dubbo.
It’s believed fatigue may have been a contributor in the triple fatality which killed the men, aged 17, 21 and 24, near Dubbo.
“Being awake for about 17 hours has a similar effect on performance as a blood alcohol content of 0.05,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith said on Sunday.
“If you’re driving home, take regular breaks. There will be about 80 driver reviver locations open all around the state,” he said.
Police have issued more than 2000 speeding infringements across the state this long weekend and 90 people have been charged with drink driving.
More than 64 people have also been injured in major incidents, including a 22-year-old man who crashed his car into a tree while allegedly trying to avoid an RBT in Lake Macquarie, police said.